Friday, December 18, 2009

Warm Wishes & Cranberry Butterscotch Ring

As I left the apartment early this morning the mist over the desert had me feeling I'd been transported to Oregon. The light filtered through the wet moist air in soft shades of pastels like a sugary fairy land. The excitement of Christmas is coming back as we end the week and know that we have a couple of weeks to re-group and rest.
For my internet friends I want to share a wonderful recipe that's been sitting in my recipe file for many years as my Happy Holidays gift. I tried this for the first time this last week at the prompting of a radio show host who shared some of her rules for the season:
1. Don't count calories from December 1 to January 2nd.
2. Try a new holiday recipe.
3. Be a secret Santa or do the 12 days of Christmas for someone new this year. ( Okay the last one is mine, but for the life of me I can't remember the rest of her list...lol) So here's one new recipe to try!
Here's to a Merry Christmas for my Christian friends. Happy Hanukkah to my Jewish friends, and best wishes to all of you. May you be blessed with all the good things that have been put on this earth for our happiness. May the love you send out be returned an 100 fold.

This recipe has been changed as usual... :-). It was originally Cherry Butterscotch Ring but I didn't have any candied cherries so I substituted Craisins, yummy! Oh, and I substituted canola oil instead of shortening. It makes for a moist breakfast cake that stays moist. Enjoy!

CRANBERRY BUTTERSCOTCH RING

1/3 cup of butter or margarine (I used butter)
1/2 cup of brown sugar
1 tbsp. corn syrup
1/2 cup of pecan or walnuts
1/2 c. dried cranberries
1 pkg.active dry yeast or 1 scant tablespoon
3/4 cup warm water[105 -115 degrees F.]
1/4 cup of granulated sugar
1 tsp. salt
2-1/4 cups of flour
1 egg
1/4 cup of canola oil
Melt butter,brown sugar,and corn syrup.Pour into a 6 cup ring mold or baking pan 9x9x2. Sprinkle nuts and cranberries over mixture.In a bowl dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in granulated sugar, salt, and half the flour. Beat 2 min. Add egg and oil. Beat in remaining flour until smooth.Drop dough by small spoonfuls over nuts and cherries in pan.Cover;let rise in warm place until double. 40-60 min. Heat oven to 375 degrees[F].Bake 30-35 min.or till brown.Watch as it may brown quickly. If so place a sheet of foil over the top until done. Immediately invert on to a serving platter.

No comments:

Post a Comment