Saturday, February 21, 2009

New Goals.....

Aaaaawwww, aren't they cute? So soft, cuddly and tiny! They have nothing to do with this post, but I wanted a picture to share with you so I put up one of my paintings.

I had some good thoughts I wanted to share earlier, but they drifted away on the path that all good thoughts often go, getting lost among the tasks of the day, or, in my case in the fog of my brain....lol. I'll be so glad when my sinuses are healed. We set a goal this morning to read the scriptures together. I asked Kent when we should do this and he said we could read in the morning right after breakfast, and wouldn't you know it, we didn't do it! We have a serious family matter that has weighed heavily on my mind and that got in the way of my reminding him. I will get him to read though. Another goal we have is to stop being so negative. It's such a disease, and so non-productive! I'm sure that if we heard all the negative remarks about us, we would be totally crushed, so I think about that whenever an incident comes up that I'm thinking of sharing, or even a news story that irks me. And, while my inclination is to rant about what is going on in the U.S. today, it won't help, so I'm trying to learn to be pro-active. So let me ask you this, what are you doing to be prepared for what is coming with the economy and so forth? Are you planning a garden this year? Are you looking for ways to save money or cut back? What are you doing? Me, I will be going through the seed catalog and ordering seeds this week. I will be planting tomato seeds, and perhaps peppers and squash. I will be putting out pea seeds, in the garden, and maybe even some carrots and garlic.
Here's another recipe that I put together for a soup I was asked to make for our District Conference. It's very yummy if I do say so myself so give it a try!

Red Lentil and Wheat Berry Soup
2 c. cooked wheat berries - 1 c. dried red lentils,rinsed - 8 c. water
1 ham hock - 3 slices bacon, chopped - 1 onion, chopped - 1 large carrot, scrubbed or peeled, thinly sliced - 1 cup fresh sliced mushrooms -
1 1/2 c. chopped celery - 3 c. chopped cabbage - 3 cloves garlic, minced
1 16 oz. can stewed tomatoes - 1-8 oz. can tomato sauce - 4 chicken bullion cubes
1 bay leaf - 1 T. cumin powder - 1/2 t. red chili flakes
Seasoning salt to taste - 1/2 t. pepper - 1 cooked potato, cubed

Saute bacon, onion, garlic, celery and cabbage in a large pot until veggies are tender. Combine the rest of the ingredients in the pot and simmer slowly, covered, until lentils are cooked. Remove ham hock and serve hot. Serves 10-12.
If you want you can add some Garam Masala for a nice East Indian flare. This is a nice, healthy soup without much meat that can be adapted to whatever your family preferences are. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment