Friday, January 22, 2010

Foodie Friday

Okay, so we were coming through Spanish Fork canyon on our way back from seeing Annie at school the other day. The snow was coming down but it was rather warm out so the roads were slushy and slippery. I'm white knuckling it as I try to read scriptures to my hubby for Sunday school. His cell phone rings and he decides to answer it as it's the doctors office. He stops, almost in the lane of traffic as he listens to test results. I'm poking him and hissing, "get off the road, GET OFF THE ROAD!" He kept brushing my hand away as I'm seeing cars and trucks including huge semis' bearing down on us in the rear view mirror. Then I see flashing lights as a trooper pulls up behind us having seen our situation and the flashers we had set. He asks if all is okay and I tell him that Kent's doctor is on the phone so we pulled off so he wasn't trying to drive and talk at the same time. The trooper yells that we are still out in the road so Kent moves. The trooper leaves, yay? and then the phone call finally ends. I'm chewing on my tongue, not wanting to yell, but already stressed out of my mind about sitting there like a target on an icy road. I behaved myself and found out that the news wasn't as good as hubby had hoped.
It looks like we will be making some changes to our lifestyle, as in getting Kent on a real exercise program and looking for heart healthy recipes. That's easy for me as I really love good tasting healthy food. Kent calls it trendy yuppie food, but he will have to give up the meatloaf and gravy made the old fashioned way if he wants to stick around for a few more years. I checked with his doctor as Kent said his cholesterol levels were fine. I know his doctor hasn't seen what he eats when we go out so I called to find out what the diagnosis meant. Also what about diet? So now I get to be the food nazi, which I'm so good at...hehee!
I found a very tasty looking recipe at RealAge that was provided by Eating Well magazine, which I love, so I thought I would share it with you. We love Salmon, which is loaded with omega 3 fatty acids among other good for you things. As soon as Kent gets back from DC we will be trying this one. I hope you will as well and let me know what you think!


Grilled Salmon with North African Flavors

Our version of the classic North African herb paste known as chermoula serves as both a marinade and a sauce for this richly flavored salmon. If it is too cool to grill outdoors, you can roast the salmon at 450°F for 12 to 15 minutes.
Nutritional Information
(per serving)
Calories 229
Total Fat 14g
Saturated Fat 3g
Cholesterol 67mg
Sodium 134mg
Total Carbohydrate 1g
Dietary Fiber --
Sugars --
Protein 23g
Calcium 0
Serves: 4 Edit
Total Time: 45 min
Ingredients
U.S. Metric Conversion chart
1/4 cup(s) low-fat or nonfat plain yogurt
1/4 cup(s) chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup(s) chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoon(s) lemon juice
1 tablespoon(s) extra-virgin olive oil
3 clove(s) garlic, minced
1 1/2 teaspoon(s) paprika
1 teaspoon(s) ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon(s) salt, or to taste
Freshly ground pepper , to taste
1 pound(s) center-cut salmon fillet, cut into 4 portions (see Tip)
1 lemon, cut into wedges
Directions
Stir together yogurt, parsley, cilantro, lemon juice, oil, garlic, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Reserve 1/4 cup for sauce; cover and refrigerate. Place salmon fillets in a large sealable plastic bag. Pour in the remaining herb mixture, seal the bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 20 to 30 minutes, turning the bag over once.
Meanwhile, preheat grill to medium-high.
Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Remove the salmon from the marinade, blotting any excess. Grill the salmon until browned and opaque in the center, 4 to 6 minutes per side. To serve, top each piece with a dollop of the reserved sauce and garnish with lemon wedges.

2 comments:

  1. Sheryl, that's funny, the Food Nazi! I know what you mean! I was the one with the high cholesterol and who put us on a low fat diet and hubby is down to 158 in Cholesterol! Me? Not sure yet!! My tests aren't due for several months yet but I'm "behavin'"!

    Good luck with your yuppie diet! It's actually quite good and if you load up on fiber too you won't notice that you aren't taking in as many calories and you will feel full! There's a Sara Lee bread that has 45 cals per slice and loads of fiber that is pretty good. It isn't the same as good old sour dough or tasty rye bread, but ..... a longer life is worth it!!!

    Hugs and thanks for visiting today!

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by as well Diane. I love whole wheat bread, which reminds me that I haven't shared my recipe for our every day bread yet. It's tasty, full of good things and low fat to boot. Oh, if anyone wants to see some incredible photos and art work stop by Diane's blog. She's amazing!

    ReplyDelete