Thursday, April 22, 2010

Tasty Sides - Nancy's Green Bean Cucumber Salad

My mom was one of the best cooks I know. Oh yes, you can't beat her cooking, I know you can't! She had a variety of dishes that I've never seen anyone else serve, so I wonder if she created these herself, or found them somewhere that will never be revealed in this life. One of my all time favorites, and my oldest daughters as well is Mom's Green Bean Cucumber Salad. This was just one of the ways she used green beans. Another one of my favorites is Chili Green Beans but I will save that one for later in the summer when I have fresh green beans. I use Romaine lettuce in this recipe because it stands up better than other lettuces and has a nice crisp crunch. Mom did use iceberg, probably because is was the least expensive and most readily available when I was growing up. I don't really remember any other kind until I was in my teens.

Nancy's Green Bean Cucumber Salad
1 15 oz. can cut green beans, drained well
1/2 head romaine lettuce rinsed, dried and torn
1 cup thinly sliced and quartered red onion
1/2 cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
 Dressing:
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup plain yogurt
1 T. cider vinegar
1 t. sugar
1/2 t. course ground pepper
1/2 t. salt
Combine all salad ingredients together.  Toss lightly. Whisk together the dressing ingredients and gently stir into salad. Serve immediately. Yield 6-8 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment