Monday, January 27, 2014

Meatless Monday - Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie

Before you say anything, this is vegetarian, not vegan. Just getting that out of the way. Don't ask....lol. I have been trying to  cut back on our meat intake, not totally cut it out, but cut way back because we really don't need it. Nature Guy is on board with me amazingly enough, as he is my hotdogs, hamburgers, fish and chips fanatic. Be that as it may, he has noticed that he feels better when we don't eat so many heavy meals. He has a weight goal that he is almost at, and wants to keep it that way. Me, I find the older I get the less meat I seem to need, and sometimes just can't tolerate. Enough of the chatter though and on to the good stuff! I found a recipe that I tweaked a bit, oh yes I did! Surprising I know.... I added lentils for protein, and lots of veggies, because I like them! I even made this recipe with less cheese and it has lower cholesterol per serving than the original because of the changes in cheeses and amounts. I hope you give this one a try, it's really delicious.

Vegetarian Shepherd’s Pie

Filling
1/2 c. red or green lentils simmered in 1 c. water + 1 tsp chili powder
1 c. each diced bell pepper, celery, onion and mushrooms
1- 15 oz can diced tomatoes
1- 15 oz can dark red kidney beans, drained and  rinsed
1 -15 oz can corn, drained
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 T olive oil
2 T Italian seasoning blend
1 tsp worcesteshire sauce
1/2 tsp sugar
8 oz can tomato sauce
1/2 tsp seasoning salt

Potato Topping

4 medium potatoes, scrubbed and microwaved in a bag for 8 minutes, diced
1/2 t salt, 1/2 t. basil
1 T each olive oil and butter
1 1/2 c. sharp cheddar, grated
1/4 c. Parmesan cheese


Simmer the lentils in 1 c. water with chili powder until just tender, about 20 minutes. While they are simmering, saute in the olive oil the chopped bell pepper, celery, mushrooms and onion until just tender. Add the garlic, and stir in, cook one minute more, then add the rest of the ingredients, including the cooked lentils. This may look a bit "wet" but it will all be absorbed during the baking process. Pour into 9" x 13" baking pan or dish.
Microwave your scrubbed potatoes for 8 minutes in a bag, then cool and dice. In your saute pan melt the butter with the oil. Add your basil and cook for 1 minute. Then stir in the potatoes and salt. Cook one more minute and turn off burner. Mash lightly then dollop the potato mixture onto the veggie mixture in baking dish. Top with the cheeses and bake in a 375 degree oven for 30 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Serves 8-10. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment