Saturday, March 12, 2011

Springtime Asian Style Bean and Ham Soup

Nature guy and I are heading to the temple with Annie this morning, but we wanted to make sure Mom and Dad had good food to eat today so I threw together a healthy and tasty soup this morning. I was the recipient of a bag of Asian veggies and they need to be used so I created an East meets West sort of soup perfect for a rainy day. This is a good time of year to get those spring time veggies started such as bok choy, spinach, carrots and so on.








I started off with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, heated up over medium heat in my soup pot. I then added 2 cups of diced ham, 1 very large onion, chopped, and 2 cups chopped cabbage., and 3 peeled and coined carrots. I cooked them until the vegetables were tender. I then added 1 inch of peeled, grated ginger and 4 crushed garlic cloves.


I also added to large bok choy leaves and stalks, chopped and 1 and 1/2 quarts, or 6 cups of water. To that I added 2 chicken bullion cubes and 1/3 cup barley.

I let that simmer until the barley was almost done and then added 3 cups chopped spinach and 1 1/2 teaspoons of lemon pepper. To that I added two 16 oz. cans of great northern beans, draining only one can. Here's the finished result! Just an FYI, don't leave out the lemon pepper, it really rounds out the flavor of this soup. I've listed the ingredients below. Let me know if you try this.

 Springtime Asian Style Bean and Ham Soup
2 T. Olive oil
2 cups diced ham
2 cups chopped cabbage
3 carrots, peeled and coined
I very large onion, chopped
1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and grated
3 garlic cloves, crushed
6 cups water
2 chicken bullion cubes
2 bok choy leaves with stalks, chopped
3 cups chopped spinach
2 - 16 oz cans great northern beans, drain one only
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon pepper


1 comment:

  1. YUM - it all looks good. I love barley .. it makes a meal so hearty.

    ReplyDelete