Tuesday, April 7, 2009

A New Resolve

I got up this morning sick and tired of being sick and tired so I have a new resolve. Well, actually it's an old new resolve. Eat better and exercise daily. To help me get back on the exercise track my sweet sister in-law gave me a Beach Bodies exercise CD. Mind you I'm not interested in a beach body as I've never had one and probably never will. I heard a DJ in Fairbanks remark once about a day at Chena Lakes early in the summer. He made the comment that the beach looked like the poultry section of the meat market....yipes! Well, no one will be subjected to my dimpled fandango as I am not a glutton for punishment and don't believe in undue punishment of others. Oh sure, I've been in a swimsuit before, my favorite was a sea green floral suit that hugged my once shapely curves, but had a nice little skirt to cover my less than perfect body parts, but now I would look like a hippo in a tutu in a suit like that so no way! :-) The idea behind exercise is to get healthy again. It's amazing how a couple of months of slacking off on exercise will really put you in a slump. The sinus surgery didn't help, but our eating habits have been attrocious this year. So I'm taking bisquits with country gravy, and cinnamon rolls off the breakfast menu for a bit, as well as cutting back on the beef again, and toning down on sauces and gravies as a whole. I always cook from scratch, but it doesn't really matter if you are going heavy on the fat and sugar. So with the advent of Spring and all the fresh fruits and berries starting to pop up in the stores it's time to get down to business and get healthy again.
Here's my pancake recipe for a hearty, tasty, but healthy alternative to the regular pancake.

2 Grain Applesauce Pancakes

1 cup flour
1/4 cup each cornmeal and whole rolled oats
1/2 t. each salt, baking powder and baking soda
1 t. apple pie spice
1 egg
1/2 cup applesauce, unsweetened
1 + cups of lowfat milk or buttermilk

Mix all ingredients together. This batter is fairly thick but you can add milk a little at a time to thin to the consistency you like. Pour 1/4 to 1/3 cup batter on hot, lightly greased griddle.
Cook until bubbles form then flip. Cook until browned nicely on both sides. 6-8 medium pancakes.

1 comment: