Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Tasty Tuesday - Coconut Layer Cake with Raspberry Filling

 Somehow the coconut supply keeps replenishing itself in my mother-in-laws refrigerator. Don't know how, and neither does she as I've not ever seen it used for anything since I've been taking care of them. Be that as it may, I decided to try a luscious coconut cake recipe she kept telling me about.
 The recipe for the layers is pretty basic. We cut the sugar by 1/2 a cup and I can see why now that I've tasted the finished product. It would be way too sweet...
Start with 1/2 cup of butter, cream that and then add 1 cup of sugar, and cream until the sugar is almost dissolved. Add 2 eggs and beat well, until the mixture is light and fluffy. Combine 2 1/4 cups flour, 1 tablespoon baking powder, 1 teaspoon of salt and add to creamed mixture gradually, alternating with 1 cup of milk and 1 teaspoon of vanilla. Beat until well blended and pour into 2 greased and floured 9 inch cake pans. Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes or until toothpick tested in center of cake comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes then turn layers out of pans onto rack to cool. Grandma's kitchen is rather primitive so we don't have a cooling rack here so I had to use waxed paper. It works.
 For the seven minute frosting I had to be creative and use a bowl as the top of a "double boiler". Next time I will use a larger bowl. You start with 2 egg whites. The yolks will be used in French Toast for breakfast. Add 1 1/2 cups sugar to the egg whites in the bowl or top of double boiler, and a pinch of salt, 1 tablespoon of corn syrup, 1 teaspoon of vanilla, and 1/4 cup of water. blend with hand mixer and then put on top of pan of boiling water and beat for 7 minutes or until stiff peaks form.
 Place one layer of cake top side down on cake plate and spread the up side with raspberry jam, just about 1/2 inch to the edge of the cake all the way around. Darn I wish I had photos. Then top with other layer, flat side down, and start spreading the frosting up the sides and over the top of the cake, being somewhat generous. Now sprinkle fresh coconut over the top and press into the sides of the cake, covering the frosting most of the way. If you like, top with fresh raspberries.
Taadaa! This cake is actually lighter and deliciously wonderfuller than I thought it would be. Okay I know that wonderfuller is not a word per se, but hey, it's my blog...;-)
Coconut Layer Cake with Raspberry Filling
1/2 cup butter, creamed
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon each salt and vanilla
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon baking powder


Raspberry jam for filling
Seven minute Frosting
2 egg whites
1/4 cup water
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon corn syrup
pinch of salt

Fresh coconut

No comments:

Post a Comment