Sunday, May 23, 2010

Food for Thought

So our conversation yesterday morning started out with death by hotdogs and fish & chips. My hubby is gleefully awaiting my trip to Oregon so he can go on a food frenzy, but I reminded him that he woke up with chest pain this morning, sheesh! So he comments on the Spam I served him for breakfast to which I pointed out that he asked for it and then he wanted to know if he said he wanted a hole in the head would I comply to which I said yes. So I told him he was going to commit self inflicted death by fish & chips and he accused me of assisted murder by Spam. I know it's not a joking matter, but what do you do with a man who is addicted to junk food???
Which takes me to an article I read in a 2003 Ensign. The author was raised in Russia and had no religious background. He went to medical school where a friend shared with him that the same dietary practices that can prevent and treat heart disease that they were being taught, had been the centuries-old health code of the Russian Orthodox Church. He became interested in the Bible He read the story of Daniel and his friends refusal to eat the daily provision of the kings food and wine, and asked to be able to eat their "pulse" and water.  Daniel and his friends were blessed with better health and greater ability to think and act. As this man continued to learn he discovered that the Russian translation of "pulse" was vegetables, but knew that man could not survive on them alone. He later discovered that the word also meant grains and seeds. To make a long story short, it has been known for centuries that eating less meat, and eating more wholesome grains, fruits and vegetables is a healthy and wise diet. The promise is found in the Word of Wisdom that if we do so, we shall receive health in the navel and marrow in the bones and shall find wisdom and great treasures of knowledge, even hidden treasures. (D&C 89:18-21) Just some food for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment