Sunday, June 13, 2010

Genealogy and Fishing For Chickens

As the Family History Center Director for our district in Wendover, I am in charge of helping our consultants maintain a center for the public as well as church members. I am also responsible for helping our consultants encourage and support those who are interested in doing their genealogy. It was a calling given as an answer to prayer. Funny thing, the day I actually got down on my knees and asked Heavenly Father for help with my confusing and complex family history I was given the calling to be the Family History Center Director. So, here I am finding all sorts of interesting stories, photos and information on my own family as well as my "steps" of which I have several. Don't ask. :-)
I had to share this story as it brings to life "Grandpa George", who I met as a little girl. He's the gentleman on the left and here's a story that was shared by a brother of his, not the one seen in this photo though.
"Uncle Charlie said that when he was a young man, he and his brother George used to work whenever and where ever they could. They often traveled together while George was driving a Grey Line. They hauled packaged goods to Canada and helped people move and the like.

He said they would get hungry and "accidentally" crush a box of cookies, so that they could eat them. One day George got some line and put a worm on the end of it. He tossed it several times over a fence and into a farmer's yard where there were chickens. Charlie asked him, "What are you doing?" and George replied, "Well, I am fishing for chicken!" Charlie said that they did manage to coax one out that day."

No comments:

Post a Comment