Monday, March 22, 2010

Mother Earth News Garden Compost Tip

No photos today but I learned an interesting tip while riding the exercise bike this morning. In the fall when it's time to put the garden to bed take some of the space and make trenches. They only need to be about 6" deep. Cover with floating row cover or plastic to keep animals from using them as litter boxes. As you collect kitchen scraps over the winter take them out and dump them in the trenches. For things like banana peels and melon rind I would cut these into small pieces to make them easier to decompose or be devoured by our friendly worms. Cover with the hilled up dirt to the sides of the trenches and cover them back up. In the Spring next year you should find nicely composted soil thanks to the earth worms who've enjoyed the feast you've been providing them. When I saw this tip I had an AHA moment! So easy, and what a great way to compost. If you give this a try this next Fall and Winter season, let me know how it goes! I'm also wondering how this would work to try in the Spring in a portion of the garden. I'm going to give it a try....

No comments:

Post a Comment